10.7.08

I remember

I remember when you first took me home. You would walk around the neighborhood bragging about me.I was beautiful you'd say. I was the apple of your eye you'd say.You'd brag because I was a pit bull and I got along with your cat.I was a pit bull and I loved your son.You bragged because I was friendly and a pit bull.I loved that.From the porch, Daddy would admire me. Watching as you walked down the street with meBack then, I didn't even really know Daddy, though.He was just an ocassional aquantince. He was someone that came over sometimes and gave me a pat on the head or a milkbone from the treat jar. You were home back then.You were the only home I knew. But, when you decided it was time to move; there was no room for me anymore.I went from a well behaved pit bull to a well behaved problem. I just don't know what I did wrong.But, whatever it was, you left and you left me with the next person to become a memory in my head.I had been with you the first year of my life.And, I remember you.I remember joining your pack.You had no other dogs.I was your first dog.You only wanted me because I was beautiful.You only wanted me so you could breed me with your boyfriends American staffordshire; who, by the way, I clearly remember was NOT an American pit bull terrier and far from it. I remember having two litters that year.I remember Daddy watching you with anger as you shoved me out the door.I remember trying to run away; but, you found me and bought me back home. Punishing for me for having commited such an act. I remember crying at night for my first family.The entire neighborhood could hear my howls.I remember going for days without eating because you were with your boyfriend and you forgot to drop some Dog Chow in my dish.Then, suddenly, someone came in your house with a leash and she took me away.I thought I was being rescued.You, too, became a memory in my head.Please know, I remember you.I remember you taking me to your house and chaining me in the yard.I was housetrained and behaved; I knew to stay off the couches; I never understood why I was never allowed inside.I remember howling at night.Daddy was far away at his point; but, I remember him coming over sometimes and slipping me some good food. Quality kibble he'd call it.I remember you breeding me. Twice.So that by the time I was only three, I'd had four litters.You needed the money you said.But, on the fourth litter, I remember Daddy's sister stepping in.She got sick of you breeding me.She got sick of me being left outside all the time.She got sick of me being treated like an item instead of a dog.But, as she took me away, even now, I remember you.I remember you letting me inside even knowing I was pregnant.I remember you feeding me all the best foods you could.Sure, Iams isn't quality, but you thought it was. And, that's all that matters.Because, you tried.I remember you feeding me even before you fed yourself.I remember you letting me sleep at the foot of your bed.I remember finally having the puppies; and not wantin to take care of them.But, that was okay.You stepped in.You became a momma to me and my puppies. But, sadly, they all died.And, you were so sad.So sad.I tried to comfort you for days.But, it didn't work.Then, you moved in with your own mom.You were kicked out of your house- turns out it wasn't only the puppies making you depressed. A while later, you left. Leaving me behind.I waited for months for you.I'd sit at your room door and wait for you.I remember you.Then, you stepped in. Your kind hand gave me a pat on the head. You promised she'd be back; you'd make sure of it.You let me in as much as possible.And, you take me for my daily walks. When I bark at night, it's you I want.When I cry because I can't take the memories, it's your hands that comfort me.You brag about me with so much pride; sometimes I get scared you'll be just like the rest of them.Then a pat on the head and a run around the block; WITH A LEASH; assures me you won't.You've told me I changed your mind about pit bulls.You've told me I changed your mind about a lot of things.You and I; we're taking on the world.But, be careful how you treat me because, Daddy, I'll remember you.Humans, make a note of this.No matter what you do;no matter how you treat us;we never forget.So, to all you bad humans, please know-there are dogs sitting on the streets, in the shelters, in the pounds, being euthanized-and, they-remember you.

No comments: