25.7.08

Is it because I'm a pit bull?

On my walks I notice how all the kids back away.And the dog walkers walk on the other side of the street. No one ever wants to pet me.And, when told I'm a pit bull, people run away.Is it because I'm a pit bull, Daddy?
I cannot lie. It is.
No one ever wants to walk through my yard. The water meter lady will pet my sister-but, she never touches me.She wants me put away. "Restrain her." she sais.Is it because I'm a pit bull, Daddy?
I cannot lie.It is.
When I'm waiting in the car for you, people park far from me.When I'm walking through PetSmart with you,people growl and say "How dare he. That's a pit bull."When people walk by with their chihuahuas, I see their eyes fill with fear.Is it because I'm a pit bull, Daddy?
I cannot lie.It is.
I hear people talking about how you shouldn't have me.I heard someone say I could kill a dog.I heard you yell and scream because she'd said that.I heard it all.All of it.Is it because I'm a pit bull, Daddy?
I cannot lie.It is.
I come from a rough past.People wanted to breed me over and over again.And they sold my unregistered, unvaccinated puppies for 300 bucks a piece.And, they kept me outside in chains.Expecting me to "guard" their unfenced yard.Is it because I'm a pit bull, Daddy?
I cannot lie.It is.
I hear you crying at night sometimes. Praying that you'll be able to keep me until I'm old and gray.Sometimes when you look at me, I notice a fear in your eyes.It's really aged you.At only 19, you seem so much older.So much more mature.That look you give me is the same one you give Chance.Is it because we're pit bulls, Daddy?
I cannot lie.It is.
You fight to keep me.You fight to prove that pit bulls can make fine pets, too.You try to give me the best life you can.You train me, you love me, you hold me when I'm scared. You even sit with me when it rains.And, boy do I love our games of fetch.You've provided me the best home a dog could ask for.You've been with me through so much.Is it because I'm a pit bull, Daddy?
No.It's because you're beautiful.

No comments: